Our Schofield Family History
How to use this site

Intro Letter


Edward Hudson

John Edward

George Turner

John Edward's
other children

Philip Edward

Richard Frank

Olive Mary

Scotts & Givens's


(Richard) Frank Schofield (1912-1991)

Richard Frank Schofield

Frank was born Feb. 2nd, 1912 the twin of Phillip.

He lived in Farnley and attended West Leeds High School.

As a child he had a very disruptive episode. His mother, Marie, died shortly after giving birth to him and his twin, Phillip, from 'milk-fever' (probably a form of septicemia or blood poisoning that nowadays would be avoided with antibiotics). His father, GT, was probably overwhelmed by her sudden death and asked his sister, Ann, who lived down the street with their mother to look after Frank while someone else looked after Philip. This apparently went well for three years until GT got remarried to Florence. They wanted the boys back and this caused a family rift between Anne and GT that lasted for fifty years or more.

Frank and Phillip fondly remember their dog whose kennel provided them a temporary home when they were in major troubles with their parents. I think it's called being in the dog-house.

Growing up in a small village in Yorkshire, the boys' lives revolved around the church. Frank was always very committed throughout his life to serving God and was a lay preacher, a church trustee and a youth leader.

When he was 25 years old he married Nellie Smith. He was already the Company Secretary for Bantam coffee working for his father GT and the owners - the Armitages who were the local Lords of the Manor. He worked there for 20 years until the company was sold off at which point the Armitages bought the Millgate Trust, a company in Manchester about 20 miles away and offered Frank a job there. Frank moved his family to Hazelgrove, a nearby town. This included Keith who was 16 years old at the time, Joan who was 11 and Nellie.

Shortly after, Millgate bought a insurance company that had an interesting collection method. They provided a very nice clock to put on the mantelpiece but the clock would only run if you inserted money! It was set up to collect the correct insurance premium automatically. This was not too much of a stretch for the customer because in many places in England the gas and electric companies collected their money by having the home owner put money in a slot. If you didn't put the money in, the electricity went off.

After five years of successfully selling the clocks and managing other sales people, Frank was offered a much better position in Australia. He took it and the family moved to Australia. By this time Keith was 22 and when the family returned to England after a year Keith stayed on.

Frank was now offered a significant promotion to go back to Australia, which he did and eventually became the chairman of the company.

During his life, Frank had been very good at sports. He played for the Army in the inter-services soccer matches and he played cricket very well. His crowning achievement was in a town match where he bowled out the whole of the other team for zero runs (for non-cricketeers this is even more impressive than a no-hitter and is almost unheard of). He was presented with a cricket bat signed by all the players of the international teams of both England and Australia. The bat is now in the Melbourne Cricket Club museum.

Frank eventually died of a massive stroke in February 1991.